Emergency Lockdown Information
Emergency Lockdown Procedure Information for Parents
In accordance with the guidelines from Surrey County Council, Sunbury Manor School is addressing the issue of a possible Emergency Lockdown situation. The school aims to instruct students (by addressing the topic in assemblies) and parents (via the school website and newsletters) of the procedure for this, as this is something that the school needs to prepare for but hopes will never have to be activated.
The reasons for a lockdown are many and some of the typical examples might be:
• A reported incident/civil disturbance in the local community (with the potential to pose a risk to staff and students in the school).
• An intruder on the school site (with the potential to pose a risk to staff and students).
• A warning being received regarding a risk locally, of air pollution (smoke plume, gas cloud etc) or chemical, biological or radiological contaminants.
• A major fire in the vicinity of the school.
• The close proximity of a dangerous dog roaming loose.
During a lockdown situation school will inform parents via text/email/website of the situation by sending the following information:
‘The school is in a full lockdown situation. During this period the switchboard and main reception will be un-manned, external doors locked and nobody allowed in or out…’
School will also:
- Reassure parents that the school understands their concern for their child’s welfare, and that it is doing everything possible to ensure his/her safety.
- Instruct them not to contact the school. Calling the school could tie up telephone lines that are required for contacting emergency support providers.
- Instruct them not to come to the school. They could interfere with emergency support provider’s access to the school and may even put themselves and others in danger.
- Advise them to wait for the school to contact them about when it is safe to collect their children, and where this will be from.
- Make them aware of what will happen if the lockdown continues beyond school hours.
- Should parents present at the school during a lockdown under no circumstances should members of staff leave the building to communicate directly with them.
This information is given as a necessary precaution and aims to give clarity if an incident were to ever arise at Sunbury Manor School.