This page details how we meet our duties under the Equality Act 2010 and support our commitment to providing an environment in which each individual has complete equality of opportunities and do not suffer any discrimination, whether directly or indirectly.
Our General Equality Duty
In October 2010, the new Equality Act introduced a Public Sector Equality Duty, which requires the school to have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
There are 9 Protected Characteristics under the Equality Act; Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage and Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex and Sexual Orientation. The Equality Duty requires the school to consider how our activities affect the people who share these different protected characteristics and to publish information to show how we do this.
- Ensure that there is a well-considered strategy in place to promote diversity and inclusion across the school and that, as part of this, under-represented groups are equitably treated.
- To review our Life Skills and Character Education curriculum to ensure that groups with identified and protected characteristics feel respected, supported and included as part of a school in which diversity is celebrated.
- To narrow the gap in attainment between those students with protected characteristics.
- We will aim to raise aspirations among children and young people, their parents and communities and raise awareness of career and higher education opportunities, to challenge stereotypes.
During our business planning process we ensure that we take into account the effect of our decisions on different groups. We consider if there are any unintended consequences for some groups and whether our business plan will be fully effective for all target groups.
Further information regarding our commitment to equality can be obtained by contacting the school.
This Statement will be reviewed annually by a member of the Senior Leadership Team and will also be approved by governing body.